Wednesday, January 19, 2011

Missing Paris

I've been moving data over a new computer after my last one died, and I keep getting distracted by one little album on my iPhoto library called "France." If I had an ink pad and a stamp marked Heaven, I'd stamp it all over every photograph from this trip, across each of the six weeks that we stepped away from our life as we knew it. From Normandy to Marseille, from the Sacre Coeur to each and every curvy street whose pavement and cobblestones wore down two pairs of my shoes to practically nothing.

We're planning our second summer in Paris, and have found a lovely family to swap with. The mom has a post at NYU this summer, so our East Village apartment will be perfectly located for her. She and her husband have a three year old daughter who should feel very at home in Jamie's room. They live in the same neighborhood that we stayed in last summer, Monmartre, but are even closer to the little village at the top of the hill. I'll be casting my net far and wide for writing assignments to carry me through while we're away, because I'll need the work, for a multitude of reasons. I really enjoyed blogging about English bookstores last summer, so maybe I can drum up something similar- a regular gig. I'm also hoping to be in touch with English speaking parents over there to help me find something for Jamie to do where he can meet other children his age and make friends, beyond the chance encounter in a playground... a mini- day camp for English speaking kids? We'll travel much less and spend more downtime exploring the city and studying French (this is the plan, anyway). I may find a French class for us to take at the New School this semester...

3 comments:

  1. It sounds like a much more calm process for you this year - can't wait to live it vicariously.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Rachel,

    I am you've chosen to relive this again. I think about Paris at least once a day. I am so happy for you, yet oh so jealous. XO

    Mark

    ReplyDelete
  3. That's wonderful that you'll be in Paris again and that neighborhood really is magical. My sister-in-law Marion will also be in Paris in June with my nephew who was born the same month. Hopefully, you could all meet and the boys could play and hang out. I wish we could go, too. Enjoy the anticipation--which is really one of the best parts, right?

    ReplyDelete