Wednesday, November 21, 2012

Chess in the Park

A month or so back, a piece I wrote about going to the chess circle in Washington Square was picked up by the New York Observer (which thrilled me). It was a lesson in patience to work with an editor who asked a million questions that I thought were clear and obvious, but that was a healthy reminder about how everyone needs an editor, and if they're not getting it, well, something isn't there in some capacity. My dear friend Candace Walsh (who just published a beautiful memoir called Licking the Spoon; I will elaborate on this later) helped me see that through a million questions was the bright light of those hallowed pink pages. But then the essay only ran online, and sayonara went the pink pages, but still! You can read my piece in its entirety [here].

No comments:

Post a Comment